The Global Cycling Summit
From June 13th to June 16th 2017, over 1,500 delegates from over 80 countries across the globe will be welcomed to the region of Arnhem-Nijmegen (the Netherlands) to join the world’s largest cycling conference: Velo-city 2017.
European Cyclists' Federation's Velo-city series of conferences is widely considered as the global cycling summit. The conferences are designed to encourage cycling as part of daily transport and recreation.
Velo-city 2017 will be a unique event, not only to widen people’s knowledge and network within the world of cycling and sustainable transport, but also to experience the impact of cycling on society and to discuss challenges in the field of designing, financing and managing cycle projects. You are invited to share your own challenges and get advice from the most experienced advocates, technicians, academics and decision-makers in the realm of cycling. This unmissable event is a very comprehensive study tour with input from all over the world. There are over 200 speakers from more than 40 countries among others Thailand, China, Canada, Philippines, India, USA, Chili, Brazil, Canada, Kenya, South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Austria, Denmark, Mexico, Finland, Russia and Italy.
The main theme of Velo-city 2017 is ‘The Freedom of Cycling’, as cycling has a major impact on the well being of our citizens and makes our cities more livable and enjoyable. Themes like Governance, Infrastructure, People, Bikenomics and Urban Planning are the main topics of the Velo-city 2017 conference. In addition, it will explore the Dutch story and the relation between health and sustainability.
We think Velo-city 2017 will be a tipping point for cycling, as we see more and more attention for cycling worldwide. During the conference the European Cycling Strategy – will be handed over to EU Commissioner for Transport Ms. Violeta Bulc. The mayors session which will be held on will be attended by over 20 mayors and ministers.
Have a look at the promotional video to see more of the region and feel The Freedom of Cycling!
What does Velo-city 2017 offer?
We have just released our preliminary programme.
• The conference programme contains a number of inspiring key note speakers, plenary sessions and more than 60 parallel sessions!
• Great speakers from around the world shall present their latest insights, stories and research. The key-note speakers will highlight the five themes in a different and innovative way.
• In special outdoor sessions you will be able to see the effects of Dutch bicycle policy in practice and you can bring your cycling project to special design workshops with the best Dutch experts of CROW.
• An array of social events designed for conference participants to meet and network with their international colleagues and the most important players in the cycle business: welcome reception, excursion to Amsterdam, the mass bike parade and the closing festival;
• During the conference there is also sufficient time to network and gain new insights at the exhibition where leading companies and players in the cycling world will present their products;
• An extensive excursion programme that has a number of cycle related excursions that will show the infrastructural services, cultural and tourist highlights in the region;
• We even offer a special pre and post programme in cooperation with the Dutch Cycling Embassy. These activities are designed to provide conference attendees with the opportunity to explore the diverse and rich bicycle culture of the many cities and towns of the Netherlands before and after the conference.
Registration is open. Experience the Freedom of Cycling for four great days in the Arnhem-Nijmegen region alongside the international speakers and delegates! Note: there is a special rate for participants from ODA countries and for students.
More information on the conference and registration can be found on the website: www.velo-city2017.com